The module includes a concise slide presentation, the Frailty Fulcrum animation and a narrated video of Nirmala’s story which is used to explore and assess understanding of the Frailty Fulcrum model.
The objectives of the module are:
- Provide a definition for frailty and how it relates to an ageing population
- Explain what frailty looks like, what it is made up of, and what it means to the individual.
- Introduce the Frailty Fulcrum as a multi-dimensional model for frailty.
- Highlight the impact of acute health events and how they frequently present as one of the Frailty Syndromes.
Local Trainer Resources include:
- Understanding Frailty powerpoint presentation and associated speaker notes
- Frailty Fulcrum animation
- Frailty Fulcrum Domain guidance booklet
- Nirmala’s story as a narrated video, slide presentation or handout to suit available technology
- Nirmala’s story Fulcrum exercise question sheets (recall and recognition)
- Frailty Fulcrum exercise card for applying to own case examples
- A1 Frailty Fulcrum template
- Participants handouts including Overview of Frailty Fulcrum and Frailty Syndrome & domain summary card.
Minimum time required: 45 mins (including exercise)
Understanding frailty slides
These are the presentation slides from the 3-hour person-centred supported self-care sessions. Available as both PDF format and a downloadable PPT file.Fullscreen Mode
Understanding frailty speaker notesFullscreen Mode
Overview of frailty fulcrum
This is based on the NHS England blog about the frailty fulcrum written by Dr Dawn MoodyFullscreen Mode
Frailty Fulcrum animation
Domain guidance booklet
This booklet is intended to support participants to gain a fuller understanding of each of the domains and how they can interact with each other. They can be used as a resource for use during the training but not taken away by participants.Fullscreen Mode
Domain summary & frailty syndromes card
This A4 document provides a summary of the domains and the five frailty syndromes. This summary is a handout for participants.Fullscreen Mode
This provides a case-based assessment of understanding and also introduction to the frailty syndromes. It is available as a narrated video, slide presentation and “voice of Nirmala” handout to suit available technology. There are also two formats for the questions depending on time and participant mix:
- Recall template – this provides boxes for ‘free text’ responses
- Recognition template – this provides a multi-choice format with prompts