Poor oral health can affect people’s ability to eat, speak and socialise normally. More than half of older adults who live in care homes have tooth decay, compared to 40% of over 75s who do not live in care homes.
- The reasons for the greater risk of oral health problems amongst care home residents;
- Oral health assessment (see below for Oral health assessment tool);
- Care staff knowledge and skills;
- What the Care Quality Commission expects; and
- Further information
The guide and assessment tool are included below, followed by the “Further Information” links included in the guide:Fullscreen Mode
Oral health assessment toolFullscreen Mode
- Oral health for adults in care homes (NICE guideline)
- Resources to support this guideline (NICE guideline)
- Using quality standards to improve practice in care homes for older people (NICE) PDF 368 Kb
- Dental care and Oral health (Alzheimer’s Society factsheet).