Attendance Allowance

Individuals could get £55.65 or £83.10 a week to help with personal care if they’re physically or mentally disabled and aged 65 or over.  This is called Attendance Allowance. It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much the person get depends on the level of care that they need because of their disability.

Other benefits can increase if someone gets Attendance Allowance.

More information:

Help with claiming benefits: Age UK offer an Information and Advice service

Information and Advice Service – Derby
15 The Morledge,

Telephone: 01332 343 232 (confidential answer-machine in busy periods/out of hours)

Hours: Monday – Friday 10am-3pm

Information and Advice Service – Derbyshire
29A Market Place
DE75 7EG

Telephone: 01773 768 240 (confidential answer-machine in busy periods/out of hours)
Fax: 01773 766 924


Carers Allowance

Carers could get £62.10 a week if they care for someone at least 35 hours a week and that person gets certain benefits.  The carer does not have to be related to, or live with, the person they care for but the carer won’t be paid extra if they care for more than one person.

More information:

Blue Badge

The Blue Badge scheme provides a national arrangement of parking concessions for people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or passengers.

The scheme also applies to registered blind people and people with very severe upper limb disabilities who regularly drive a vehicle, but cannot turn a steering wheel by hand.

It allows badge holders to park close to their destination, but the national concessions apply only to on-street parking.

More information:

Derby City Blue Badge Scheme

Derbyshire County Council Blue Badge Scheme

Apply direct:

Council Tax rebates & discounts

If only one adult lives in a property, they will get a 25 per cent discount on the council tax bill. When working out how many people live in a property, some people are not counted. These are called disregarded people.

You are disregarded if you are:

  • ‘severely mentally impaired’
  • a long-term hospital patient or care home resident
  • living in a hostel which provides care or treatment because of your old age, physical or mental disability
  • a live-in care worker.

Derby City Council Council Tax Discount

Amber Valley Council Tax Discount

Derbyshire Dales Council Tax Rebate

South Derbyshire Council Tax Rebate

or consult Citizens Advice Bureau for advice.

Derbyshire Districts

Telephone Advice Line [open Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 4.00pm] 0300 456 8390 [calls to this number are charged at the same rate as 01 and 02 numbers]

South Derbyshire and City

Get help by calling the telephone assessment line on either 01283 210109 or 01332 228700 [open Monday to Friday, 10am to 3pm.]



Paying for care

If someone needs care and support in their own home, the community or in a residential or nursing home they can approach the Council for help towards paying for their care.  All use government guidance to assess care needs (Care Act Assessment) that would be eligible for the Council to support.

If assessed needs are eligible for support a financial assessment is carried out to work out what the person can afford to pay.

  1. If someone has savings of £23,250.00 or more the Council will not contribute to the cost of their care and support services.    Individuals can go direct to a provider of their choice and organise these services.
  2. If savings are below £23,250.00 a Financial Declaration form needs to be completed, giving full details of your income, savings and any other assets you own.  This information is used to calculate how much the person will be required to contribute towards the cost of the care and support they are assessed as needing.

More information:

Derbyshire residents

Derbyshire County Council residents or contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.

Download the Care Services Directory

Derby City residents

Derby City Council residents or contact Derby Direct on 01332 640777

Visit Derby Choice, an independent network of accredited support providers delivering social care support and activities that promote well being to Derby citizens.

General information

There are a large number of organisations that will provide free, general advice about the funding of care and support. These are a good place to start if you are looking for information and want to see what sort of options are available to you:


Continuing  Health Care funding

NHS Continuing Health Care (NHS CHC) means a package of on-going care to meet assessed needs of an individual aged 18 or over that have arisen as a result of disability, accident or illness. The care is arranged and funded solely by the NHS where professional assessments have found that the individual has a ‘primary health need’.

Beacon is a social enterprise organisation that have been funded by NHS England to provide free information and advice about Continuing Health Care. The Beacon website  provides lots of information but they also have an advice line 0345 548 0300 which is available if you want to discuss a Continuing Health Care decision or would like advice about the process.

You can also access advice and information on NHS Choices.